Today’s tip for Amazingness:
Watch your Attitude
A teacher once told my young son “Do not let your attitude get you into a situation that your aptitude can’t get you out of!” I thought this was a brilliant statement and so true for all of us. In other words there are consequences to our actions and just because we know what to do it doesn’t mean we can fix it, at least not easily and sometimes not at all.
What might this look like? I’ll be honest and transparent for me it might mean that I don’t eat well or exercise and therefore I gain weight and have trouble getting it off and my health suffers. Now, I know how to eat well, exercise and take care of myself, but in the past I just had a bad attitude and didn’t do what I knew to do and now I have to work hard to repair the damage of my bad attitude including the hard work of changing my attitude.
Here are some other ways:
- Failing a grade because of attitude even though you’re smart
- Getting into debt even though you know how to budget
- Getting fired
- Being lazy and having it effect your mood
- Never moving forward in your business
- Failed relationships
- Having great ideas and never following through
- Always planning the next project or craft and never doing it
I’m sure we can all come up with our own personal areas where we know the right thing to do and don’t do it.
Here is a list from the Mayo Clinic on the positive benefits of positive thinking:
- Increased life span
- Lower rates of depression
- Lower levels of distress
- Greater resistance to the common cold
- Better psychological and physical well-being
- Reduced risk of death from cardiovascular disease
- Better coping skills during hardships and times of stress
That is all fine and dandy you say, but just because I know I should have a better attitude and think positively doesn’t mean I do, which is the problem to begin with! How do I change my attitude?
Here are a 5 things you can do that have been shown to make a difference from Shaw Achor and GoodThink:
1) Bring gratitude to mind: Write down three NEW things that you are grateful for each day
2) Journal: About a positive experience you’ve had recently for two minutes once a day
3) Exercise: Engage in 15 minutes of mindful cardio activity
4) Meditate: Watch your breath go in and out for two minutes a day and
5) Engage in a random, conscious act of kindness: Write a two-minute positive email thanking a friend or colleague, or compliment someone you admire on social media Do these steps for 21 days, and you will begin to see a lasting shift in your mindset towards more positivity.
Start by identifying negative thinking and start looking at the positives and your “why”. Don’t personalize everything. Sometimes bad things just happen or we just have a bad day, but it doesn’t mean it is about YOU! Don’t always go to the worst case scenario, and remember that things aren’t always good or bad, sometimes they just are. And you don’t have to be perfect or do it perfectly to do well!
In addition to the recommendations from Shaw Achor try making small changes and you will feel your self confidence grow as a result of your successes. Then build on the small success and create larger ones! Remember that each day is a new day and a fresh start. Start where you are and don’t try to conquer everything at once, take baby steps!
Surround yourself with positive people, have a trustworthy friend call you on negative behaviors, and laugh a lot. These are all small changes that can make a big difference and you can do it! Happy thinking!
I want to make sure to say that sometime we can’t follow through because of true clinical depression, if you feel this is you or you friends and family do please seek help. You do not have to continue to feel this way.
So, how’s it going towards my personal goals to amazing?
Goal one, my Shaklee Business: Yesterday I had a fun appointment to share Shaklee with someone and it reminded me of how much I really love Shaklee! I believe in the science, the results, the people, the products, and the business and I am proud to be part of the Shaklee family!
Goal two, my health and fitness: Man oh man, chasing after babies is a great workout! Yesterday was a fun and busy day with the grands which will make my yoga today oh so wonderful! This week I made a menu of healthy meals to motivate myself for healthy eating for myself and my family and of course I will Strip and Shakle!
100 Days to Amazing! You can do amazing things.
I believe you can; you believe you can too!
What the 100 Days is about:
I was at the Shaklee Global Conference August 12-16th and we were challenged to 100 Days of Amazing with the question of what could we accomplish in 100 days if we really tried? I was inspired by the challenge, both as a business builder who wants to grow my business in 100 days and as an individual! What could I do in 100 days?
My Journey to Amazing: My 100 Days to Amazing are committed to making a more successful business as a Shaklee Independent Distributor and I am also committed to 100 days to amazing health and fitness. I want to be fit for my future making sure that my health span matches my life span as closely as possible. This is my Journey.
All photography is by me. Feel free to share, but I ask that you credit the photo to my Lisa Wright Burbach. To see more of my photos visit my flickr site and Instagram listed to the right. I also have some photography on Pinterest.