Today’s tip for Amazingness:
“Giving Back” (volunteerism, charity etc.) isn’t about what you have in your hand, it’s about what you have in your heart. One of the most beautiful things to see is someone who is truly in need reaching out to help others. They have decided they are not victims, though their needs may be great, but that they are givers! Givers of love, skills, time, a meal; givers of whatever they can give.
- Someone in need is helped This goes without saying I suppose, but I’m going to say it just the same. When you volunteer, donate, participate… you help change the life of another person! Keep that in mind.
- Sense of self esteem grows Volunteering has been shown to improve our own feelings of value, causing us to feel more impowered and changing our own assessment of our own situations and well being.
- Releases endorphins Which is known as a “helper’s high” and boosts our immune system and nervous system
- Reduction in Depression Forbes quotes a washington DC study which shows that those who volunteer, in as few as 100 hours a year, report a reduction in depression and despair
- Improves heart health Studies show that those who volunteer have a fewer incidences of heart disease
- Less likely to develop High Blood Pressure Studies currently being concucted are showing positve evidence for maintaining lower blood pressure levels in those who volunteer regularly. Though not conclusive, the results are encouraging
- Increased social circle It has long been understood that those who are more connected socially tend to be healthier physically, have lower incidence of depression, and live longer lives.
- Gain a new Skill Volunteering opens the door to learn new things which also has it’s own health benefits. We should never stop learning!
- Improved optimism Helping others changes our perspective and usually improves our opimism, rather than making us more skeptical. It is an opportunity to look for the good in others.
- Feeling appreciated We all have an innate desire to feel needed, appreciated, and valuable. Our hearts seem to say, “Do I matter?” and helping others lets us see that we are truly needed.
- Stretch as an individual Giving back may take us out of our comfort zones, but in the end we will have grown as an individual. You may be surprised what you are capable of or what you truly enjoy!
All those things are wonderful, but be sure you “give back” for the right reasons! Volunteer to help others and not to make yourself feel better. Just like many things in life, the benefits above do not occur when we are motivated by selfish means.
How can you get involved? Many companies have opportunities for their emplyees to get involved, things like doing a Habitat for Humanity project, park clean-ups, water and food services after storms, and more. Ask your employer how you can help or ask if you can start something at your company.
other ways to get involved include things like checking with your fire department, churches, schools, Sr. citizen homes, Women’s Club, Shriner’s, your local Jaycees, the newspaper, the Red Cross and the YMCA. These are just a few ways to learn about ways you can give back.
I am proud to be part of a company that gives back in many ways. Not only is Shaklee a leader in giving back to the environment, but Shaklee also has a non-profit organization, Shaklee Cares, which is committed to helping people directly affected by natural disasters and emergencies, as well as grass-roots citizen groups working in the impacted areas.
Shaklee Cares Outreach 2013
1. West Texas Fertilizer Explosion
2. Moore Oklahoma F5 Tornado
3. Typhoon Haiyan, Philippines
4. Boulder County Colorado Massive Flooding
5. Colorado Wildfires
Shaklee Cares Outreach 2014
1. Osgood WA Mudslide
2. Pulaski County Missouri Flooding
Shaklee Cares Outreach 2015
1. Fairdale IL Tornadoes
2. Earthquake in Nepal
So, how’s it going towards my personal goals to amazing?
This morning I wrote: Yesterday I was pretty bummed about my progress both in business as well as my goals towards my own fitness. I won’t lie, today I’m still a little bummed, but my commitment today is to 2 hours of business work and a good solid cardio work out followed by yoga! My main goal today is to get my attitude back on track and go for Amazing.
This afternoon I want to tell you of the power of friendship and people who will step in and see how you are and give encouragement! I have 2 such friends who made a difference in my day and heart. I left what I originally wrote, but here is my perspective now.
Building my Shaklee Business: I love my business and the fact that it already contributes towards our income and most certainly keeps us healthier and is responsible for changing and growing our entire family’s view of the environment, toxins, waste, health, and helping people and for that I am grateful. This weekend we had an Open House and it didn’t go the way I had hoped, but I’m not dissapointed because in it I learned something I don’t want to do when I have another event, I learned some things that are awesome, and I learned some things that just need a little tweaking and these are valuable lessons and still pretty amazing!
Regarding my Fitness goals: I have always said that if you work out it is easy to work out, but if you don’t work out it is hard to work out! True story! in other words, when i keep the habit of working out I find I look forward to it, but if I miss a few days it is like agony to get started again. I have been working out some, but barely. After lunch with a friend and a little walk I felt empowered and exited to go work out! So now that I have I am ready to do it again!! Really it is all just a change of attitude! Here is my Shaklee 180 fitness plan. If you you’d like to join me ask me about becoming a member and having access to the 180 fitness plan, meal plans and nutrition guides.
Monday & Thursday: Upper
Tuesday & Friday: Core
Wednesday & Saturday: Lower
I also add in Yoga and Tai Chi.
What motivates you? Reply and share your motivating tricks and tips.
100 Days to Amazing! You can do amazing things. I believe you can; you believe you can too!
What the 100 Days is about:
I was at the Shaklee Global Conference August 12-16th and we were challenged to 100 Days of Amazing with the question of what could we accomplish in 100 days if we really tried? I was inspired by the challenge, both as a business builder who wants to grow my business in 100 days and as an individual! What could I do in 100 days?
My Journey to Amazing: My 100 Days to Amazing are committed to making a more successful business as a Shaklee Independent Distributor and I am also committed to 100 days to amazing health and fitness. I want to be fit for my future making sure that my health span matches my life span as closely as possible. This is my Journey.
All photography is by me. Feel free to share, but I ask that you credit the photo to my Lisa Wright Burbach. To see more of my photos visit my flickr site and Instagram listed to the right. I also have some photography on Pinterest.