Today’s tip for Amazingness:
Put on Makeup You’ll Feel Better
Or Ditch those sweatpants Friend!
Or Sometimes we Change from the Outside In!
When I was feeling kind of blue or a little under the weather my mother (Nancy-I have two.) used to tell me “Put some makeup on, you’ll feel better.” and surprisingly it worked! It wasn’t magical makeup that healed my colds or some sort of Zoloft like foundation or lipstick, it was the act of putting a little care into myself and giving concern to my outward appearance that actually did lift my mood and make me feel a little better.
- Self image. Research shows that if we dress all schlumpy and frumpy we often feel that way. You can buy comfortable clothes that still look nice and/or professional.
- It is symbolic. To many of us the style of dress we see means something like relaxation, professional, medical etc. Dressing for what you represent can be important psychologically to your work.
- Productivity. Some studies show that dressing up for work actually plays a role in how you perceive your work and therefore your productivity levels. When we are in our sweats, PJs etc. we often take our time because it feels like a day off.
- The client or future client. If you are working from home and want to run out for a quick trip it is tempting to leave on the sweats, but what if you run into a client or meet a potential client? Research shows that not only does your attitude change by how you are dressed, but so does theirs.
Other ways that our outside can change our inside
- Smile it makes you feel better and others! Try answering the phone with a smile or smiling before you speak. I love the quote above from Phyllis Diller “A Smile is a curve that set’s everything straight”. Smiling is powerful!
- Offer to help even when you don’t feel like it. In the end you may find that you enjoyed yourself and your heart became more eager to serve.
- Gratitude. Find something genuine to praise someone about the next time you are with someone you have difficulty with. Even if you don’t say it out loud, looking for one good thing can change your attitude which in turn could change theirs. You may also find you gain empathy and understanding.
- Be humble. There is a lot to be said for being teachable, in other words be willing to listen and learn from others and don’t think you know it all and you are the best. As Qui-Gon Jin’s said in Star Wars “There’s always a bigger fish”.
I’ve always heard “fake it till you make it”, but there is more to it than that. It is important to be genuine and honest and hopefully you have people in your life to whom you can open up with, but sometimes putting on the right clothes, a smile, a little makeup etc. can help push us in the right direction. It is OK to compromise too. The Flylady who teaches how to be organized in your home, says to start the day with your shoes on for this same reason. I don’t, I may put a little makeup on and a decent outfit, but I go barefoot while I work, It is my compromise. I put the shoes on when I go out, or at least when I go out of my own yard, well…neighborhood. What I’m saying is that you should be able to tell where the line is, don’t get uptight about it, but put a little extra care into your dress, attitude, and self and watch the amazing transformation!
The other message in today’s blog is that you are worth putting a little effort into. You are valuable, beautiful/handsome, you are worth it!! Care for yourself and love on yourself as part of your journey to amazing!
Please note however, clearly, writing a blog should be done in red and black stripy, slicky pants! SMILE!
My journey to amazing:
My Shaklee Life: My husband and I love having a Shaklee business. We enjoy the income it brings in, but more than that we really love the fact that every day I get to help someone else be healthier and help them be their best version of themselves. We love what Shaklee means to the environment and community as well! In our journey to amazing I – Lisa intend to grow my business and help more people and have fun in the process. If you’d like to learn more about Shaklee email us at email@example.com.
“Like” My Shaklee Life Facebook page and learn health and fitness tips as well as more about Shaklee.
My Life of Well Being: It is my determination to be more fit, and develop healthy holistic attitudes towards my health and my body. I choose to do this through education, exercise, caring for myself, and healthy eating and Shaklee.
Here is my Shaklee 180 fitness plan. If you you’d like to join me ask me about becoming a member and having access to the 180 fitness plan, meal plans and nutrition guides.
Monday & Thursday: Upper
Tuesday & Friday: Core
Wednesday & Saturday: Lower
I also add in Yoga and Tai Chi and Dolphin Pushups -oof and walking!
What motivates you? Reply and share your motivating tricks and tips.
100 Days to Amazing! You can do amazing things. I believe you can; you believe you can too!
What the 100 Days is about:
I was at the Shaklee Global Conference August 12-16th and we were challenged to 100 Days of Amazing with the question of what could we accomplish in 100 days if we really tried? I was inspired by the challenge, both as a business builder who wants to grow my business in 100 days and as an individual! What could I do in 100 days? This blog is a journey, an exercise in learning ways to be the best me, I can be and to help you be the best you, you can be while I’m at it!
Thanks for joining me on this journey!
All photography is by me. Feel free to share, but I ask that you credit the photo to my Lisa Wright Burbach. To see more of my photos visit my flickr site and Instagram listed to the right. I also have some photography on Pinterest.