Today’s tip for Amazingness:
I love cotton! I love cotton sheets, looking at fields of cotton, the crisp, clean feel- you know; as the jingle goes “the look, the feel of cotton”. But like many other things, becoming informed makes all the difference. I still love cotton, but I will be looking for organic cotton a little harder now. As with anything use your own judgement. We can’t live in bubbles, but we can make wise decisions which can make our lives and environment healthier.
Here is the scoop on Cotton:
- Cotton covers 2.5% of the world’s cultivated land
- It accounts for 24% of the world’s insecticide market
- Accounts for 11% of sale of global pesticides
- This is $2.6 billion worth of pesticides making it the most pesticide-intensive crop grown on the planet
- The World Health Organization has determined, three of the most acutely hazardous insecticides to human health rank in the top ten most commonly used in cotton production
- These pesticides pesticides wash into the soil and into rivers and streams, where they pollute waterways and damage fragile ecosystems
- Organic cotton is GMO free
- Genetically engineered (also called genetically modified or GM) cotton is currently grown on 25 million hectares around the world
- In many countries farmers reported that animals who grazed in cleared cotton fields on crop debris fell sick or died
- Many GMO cotton plants have prevented one type of pest while others increased causing the need for more pesticides rather than a reduction
- In some areas, such as North Carolina, when it is time for crops to be sprayed the neighboring towns suffer from watery eyes, headaches, nausea and dizziness. It has become known as “Cotton Flu”
With this in mind I am looking at things like cotton balls, feminine products, diaper inserts etc. differently. As a rule, I feel like I have a better chance with my clothes and linens because I launder them in non-toxic laundry detergent, but what about my face or other delicate places? I use skin care products that protect my skin and neutralizes free radical reactions, do I want to apply it with a cotton ball that may have residue from pesticides? Even worse think of a diaper insert against your baby’s delicate places or for you ladies what about your delicate places? I don’t want to go overboard, but It is enough to make me choose organic when I can.
Look for organic cotton fabrics, cotton balls, feminine products etc. and if you make inhalers with essential oils consider using organic inserts as a safer alternative. Small changes can make big differences!
Enjoy the look and feel, but choose wisely!
My journey to amazing:
My Shaklee Life: My husband and I love having a Shaklee business. We enjoy the income it brings in, but more than that we really love the fact that every day I get to help someone else be healthier and help them be their best version of themselves. We love what Shaklee means to the environment and community as well! In our journey to amazing I – Lisa intend to grow my business and help more people and have fun in the process. If you’d like to learn more about Shaklee email us at email@example.com.
“Like” My Shaklee Life Facebook page and learn health and fitness tips as well as more about Shaklee.
My Life of Well Being: It is my determination to be more fit, and develop healthy holistic attitudes towards my health and my body. I choose to do this through education, exercise, caring for myself, and healthy eating and Shaklee.
Here is my Shaklee 180 fitness plan. If you you’d like to join me ask me about becoming a member and having access to the 180 fitness plan, meal plans and nutrition guides.
Monday & Thursday: Upper
Tuesday & Friday: Core
Wednesday & Saturday: Lower
I also add in Yoga and Tai Chi and Dolphin Pushups -oof and walking!
What motivates you? Reply and share your motivating tricks and tips.
100 Days to Amazing! You can do amazing things. I believe you can; you believe you can too!
What the 100 Days is about:
I was at the Shaklee Global Conference August 12-16th and we were challenged to 100 Days of Amazing with the question of what could we accomplish in 100 days if we really tried? I was inspired by the challenge, both as a business builder who wants to grow my business in 100 days and as an individual! What could I do in 100 days? This blog is a journey, an exercise in learning ways to be the best me, I can be and to help you be the best you, you can be while I’m at it!
Thanks for joining me on this journey!
All photography is by me. Feel free to share, but I ask that you credit the photo to my Lisa Wright Burbach. To see more of my photos visit my flickr site and Instagram listed to the right. I also have some photography on Pinterest.